1) What do you mean by direct shear and torsional shear?
2) Find out maximum stress induced in shaft when transmitting 22 kW at 420 rpm. Diameter of the shaft is 40mm. Take stress concentration into account.
3) Define and describe any two engineering materials.
4) Define and describe maximum strain theory.
5) Draw compression spring for safety valve for data given below. Valve opening pressure: 1N/mm2; diameter of valve sear: 100mm; Shear stress: 500 N/mm2; Modulus of rigidity: 0.8 x 105 N/mm2. Spring is to be kept in casing of 115mm ID. Maximum lift of spring: 5mm, when pressure: 1.08N/mm2.
6) Multiple clutch is designed for the machine tool driven by electric motor of 15kW at 1470 rpm. choose outside diameter as 120mm. Find out clamping force and inside diameter.
7) Draw a shaft to transmit 1.5 kW at 125 rpm, from the electric motor to lathe headstock through a pulley using the flat belt drive. Pulley is located at 120mm form centre of the bearing. Diameter of the pulley is 200mm. Pulley weights 225 N. Angle of lap of the belt is 180o and co-efficient of friction between belt and pulley is 0.3. Shock factor in bending is 1.5 and in twisting 2. Take permissible shear stress for te shaft materials as 40N/mm2.