1. Weedy plants which are resistant to herbicide atrazine have the single amino acid substitution in gene psbA that results in replacement of a serine with alanine in polypeptide. Is the base change in the psbA gene which results in this amino acid replacement a transition or a transversion?
2. How many amino acids can replace tyrosine by the single base substitution?
3. Is the sickle cell mutation the nonsense, missense or silent mutation?
4. How mutations are repaired?
5. In brief describe how cancer arises by the clonal evolution.
6. What is the differentiation between a tumor suppressor gene and oncogene?
7. Cancer can take place spontaneously, but can as well be induced as a result of environmental factors like sun exposure and smoking. If you were in charge of allocating resources for the cancer prevention, would you highlight research on cancer cures or education regarding cancer prevention?
8. Do you think testing for the BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 mutations is the good idea? Why or why not?