1) Louis Pasteur (a French biochemist) investigated the metabolism of yeast which can survive under aerobic or anaerobic conditions. He observed that the yeast consumed sugar at a much faster rate under anaerobic conditions than it did under aerobic conditions. describe this Pasteur effect.
2) If a plant is kept for many days in the dark, glucose is not produced, even though the sugar producing reactions are called light-independent. Why is glucose not produced in this case?
3) describe how the leaf is adapted for capturing energy from the Sun and acquiring carbon dioxide and water.
4) The insecticide rotenone inhibits one of the steps of the electron transport system in mitochondria. What is the immediate result?
5) Describe the two major components of a photosystem. What is the function of each?
6) The dinosaurs likely died off from a lack of sunlight. What does this statement imply about the extinction of the dinosaurs?
7) Describe the properties of a biological catalyst.