1. How can drugs, such as novocaine, effectively block the transmission of pain impulses? Why don't they block motor impulses-or do they?
2. What effect does alcohol have on the transmission of electrical impulses?
3. How can rubbing one's nose decrease the possibility of a sneeze? Discuss in terms of EPSPs and IPSPs.
4. Acetylcholine has long been recognized as a neurotransmitter. Why has it been so difficult to identify other neurotransmitters?
5. How can some people eat extremely hot peppers without experiencing the same pain that others normally have?
6. What would happen at a synapse if an agent was introduced that blocked the activity of chemically gated Na+ channels? K+ channels?
7. Why are voltage gated sodium channels absent from the soma of a neuron? What would happen if the soma had voltage gated sodium channels.
8. List the basic functions of the nervous system.
9. describe the structural and functional divisions of the nervous system.
10.Define resting membrane potential and describe its electrochemical basis.
11.Compare and contrast graded potentials and action potentials.
12. Define synapse. Distinguish between electrical and chemical synapses by structure and by the way they transmit information.
13. Define absolute and relative refractory periods.
14. Define saltatory conduction and contrast it to continuous conduction.
15.What is the difference between (1) a nerve and a tract, and (2) a nucleus and a ganglion.