1. Two possible end products of fermentation are ____________ as is produced by our muscle cell under anaerobic conditions and ____________ by yeast under
2. If C4 photosynthesis prevents photorespiration, why haven't all plants evolved to use the C4 pathway?
a. All plants will evolve to be C4 in time
b. C4 produces some toxic byproducts
c. C4 is not advantageous in all climates
d. Only some plants use C4 photosynthesis
e. C4 is only advantageous in high oxygen habitats.
3. Photorespiration is bad for a plant because
a. O2 is required
b. CO2 is synthesized
c. RuBP is degraded
d. glucose is synthesized
e. no ATP is produced
4. All of the following statements pertaining to catalysts are true except:
a. biological catalysts are specific enzymes
b. catalysts increase activation energy requirements
c. catalysts increase reaction rate
d. catalysts are not permanently altered during reaction
e. all are true
5. Photosynthesis is classed as a coupled reaction because
a. it is exergonic and does not require an initial input of energy to proceed
b. there is not net change in chemical equilibria between the reactants and products
c. high-energy reactants are converted into low-energy products
d. it requires the energy of endergonic reactions to proceed
e. it produces a high energy product
6. Give the formula for photosynthesis. For each reactant, indicate where the plant acquires it. For each product, not during what part of photosynthesis it is produced.
7. What is simple definition of energy from the biological perspective? Give at least two exs of where energy is used in a cell.