1. Give a functional definition of a eukaryotic gene. Please include all parts of a eukaryotic gene and what the function of each element is. Which parts of a newly synthesized eukaryotic mRNA molecule do not transmit information for the synthesis of protein? Why?
2. What is the difference between a lytic and a lysogenic bacteriophage? How does the AIDS virus infect a eukaryotic cell?
3. Please describe the process of plant transformation using Agrobacterium tumefaciens.
4. How does an integral membrane glycoprotein travel from the ER to the Golgi and from the Golgi to the plasma membrane? What modification goes on to this protein?
5. What is the role of vesicles within early stages of the secretory pathway such as ER to Golgi trafficking? What is the role of the trans-Golgi network (TGN) in the secretory pathway?
6. Please describe the function of post-transcriptional regulation. With this problem, you need to discuss a specific ex of post-transcriptional regulation.
7. Please discuss, in depth, the mechanism for nuclear transport.
if you have time
8 . How are proteins targeted to different compartments with in a eukaryotic cell? Please give a detailed ex of how a protein is targeted to a specific organelle.
9. Please describe, in depth, the regulation of the lac operon.