1) Soil sample has the porosity of 40%, specific gravity of solids is 2.70. Compute the following;
a) Voids ratio,
b) dry density,
c) Unit weight, if the soil is 50% saturated and
d) unit weight if the soil is completely saturated.
2) Describe with neat and suitable sketches, how hydrometer analysis is performed on soil sample to get sediment data in detail.
3) Deduce the relationship for laminar flow of water thought capillary tube. (poiseuille’s law)
4) In falling head permeameter test, initial head (t=0) is 41 cm. Head drops by 5cm in 10 minutes. Compute the time needed to run test for final head to be at 20cm. If sample is 6cm in height and 55 cm2 in cross sectional area, compute co-efficient of permeability, taking area of stand pipe is 0.5 cm2.
5) Determine intensity of vertical pressure and horizontal shear stress at the point 4m directly below a 20 KN point load acting at a horizontal ground surface. Find the vertical pressure and shear stress at a point 2m horizontally away from axis of loading but at same depth of 4m?