describe understanding the concepts of the nervous system.
1. describe vision is dependent upon
2. describe specialized muscle fibers associated with detection of muscle length are
a) muscle spindles.
b) Pacinian corpuscles.
c) Ruffini's end organs.
d) Golgi tendon organs.
e) Merkel's disks.
3. describe in an ascending pathway, axons of the secondary neuron travel from the
a) receptor to the spinal cord.
b) receptor to the brain.
c) spinal cord through the brainstem to the thalamus.
d) thalamus to the cerebral cortex.
e) spinal cord to cerebellum.
4. describe which of the following functions is most likely to be performed by the visual association area?
a) "recognizes" the face of a close friend
b) "sees" the shape of the visual image
c) "senses" pain impulses
d) "moves" the eyes
e) "sees" color
5. describe a patient has suffered a cerebral hemorrhage that has damaged the primary motor area of his right cerebral cortex. As a result the
a) patient cannot voluntarily move his right arm or leg.
b) patient feels no sensations on the left side of his body.
c) patient cannot voluntarily move his left eye.
d) patient's heart stops beating.
e) patient cannot voluntarily move his left arm or leg.
6. describe Lesion of the basal nuclei could cause
a) loss of memory.
b) uncontrolled rage.
c) fluent but circular speech.
d) a slight shaking of the hands or head.
e) loss of sensation.
7. describe which of these activities is associated with the right cerebral hemisphere in most people?
a) adding numbers
b) reciting the Gettysburg address
c) painting a watercolor landscape
d) using a calculator
e) making a household budget
8. describe a baseball pitcher was hit on the side of the head by a line drive. When he was revived, he could not remember how many balls and strikes the batter had. This was because
a) short-term memory had not been converted to sensory memory.
b) he lost both sensory and short-term memory.
c) long-term memory had not been converted to sensory memory.
d) he lost long-term memory.
e) None of these choices is correct.
9. describe the diagram illustrates sensory nerve endings in the skin. describe what structure does "B" represent?
a) Merkels disks
b) free nerve endings
c) Ruffini's end organ
d) Pacinian corpuscle
e) hair follicle receptor
10. describe the diagram illustrates sensory nerve endings in the skin. describe what is the function of "E"?
a) detects deep pressure, vibration, and proprioception
b) responds to painful stimuli
c) detects bending of hair
d) detects touch, involved in 2-point discrimination
e) detects continuous touch or pressure