describe understanding the basic concepts of genetics- phenotype, genotype, chromosomes and Mendel's laws of genetics.
1) An allele which exerts its phenotypic effect in the heterozygote is referred to as being ________. That is, it masks the expression of the other allele.
2) The separation of homologous chromosomes at the time of gamete creation is what is referred to as Mendel's_______.
3) Alternative forms of a gene that take place at the same locus on homologous chromosomes are called _____.
4) Your_____ is the physical and functional expression of the genes you inherited.
5) Chromosomes can be divided into two general categories. Those comprised in the determination of sex are referred to as the "Sex Chromosomes". Those chromosomes not comprised in sex determination are collectively referred to as _____.
6) Why is it that siblings who come from the same set of parents don't necessarily look alike? Give at least one likely explanation based on what your knowledge of meiosis as well as genetics. You may want to refer to your text given that we did not cover meiosis in lab this semester