1) Oil of viscosity 0.1 Ns/m2 and relative density 0.9 is flowing through circular pipe of diameter 5cm and of length 300m. Rate of fluid flow through the pipe is 3.5 litres/sec. Determine the pressure drop in length of 300m and also the shear stress at the pipe wall.
2) Determine the displacement thickness, momentum thickness and energy thickness for velocity distribution in boundary layer given by u/U = 2(y/δ) – y/δ)2.
3)(a) prepare down the difference between reciprocating and centrifugal pumps.
(b) prepare down the different kinds of centrifugal pump. Describe any one type with a neat and suitable sketch.
4) describe the capillary tube model and its application for packed beds.
5) Water at 25oC enters a pipe with constant heat flux of 1 kW/m2. Flow is hydrodynamically and thermally fully developed. Mass flow rate of water is 10 g/s and the pipe radius is 1cm. Compute Reynolds number, heat transfer coefficient and the difference between local wall temperature and the local mean temperature.
6) Describe the different regimes of a pool boiling curve for saturated water at atmospheric pressure.
7) Describe of fixed bed catalytic reactor.
8)(a) Describe the analogy between heat transfer and mass transfer.
(b) Describe the different non-dimensional numbers used in mass transfer.