1) Draw a C.I. flange coupling to transmit 80kW H.P. at 200 rpm. Allowable stresses given below may be used.
Permissible shear stress in the shaft is limited to 45 N/mm2.
Allowable shear stresses for key material = 45 N/mm2.
Allowable crushing stresses for bolt and key = 160 N/mm2.
Shear stress for bolt material = 30 N/mm2.
Allowable shear stress for cast iron = 8 N/mm2.
2) Find out the length of welds required to transmit the load of 54.5 KN between 12.7mm thick plate, when plates are to be joined by
(a) Two parallel fillet welds
(b) Two transverse fillet welds.
3) Draw a Knukle joint to transmit the load of 120 KN in tension or compression. Suppose the following allowable stresses.
Sketch tensile stress = 90 N/mm2.
Sketch Shear stress = 70 N/mm2.
Sketch compressive stress = 160 N/mm2.
4) Sketch a C.I. piston for single acting four stroke engine for Specifications given below.
Cylinder bore = 120 mm
Stroke = 1410 mm
Maximum gas pressure = 6.1 N/mm2.
Brake mean effective pressure = 0.7 N/mm2.
Fuel Consumption = 0.23 Kg/ kW/hr.
Speed = 2300 rpm
5) A CI pulley transmits 9 kW at 480 rpm. Pulley is 1m diameter and has 4n arms of elliptical cross section with major axis twice minor axis. Determine the dimensions of the arms if the allowable bending stress is 15 N/mm2.