Ciprofloxacin, erythromycin, and acyclovir are employed to treat microbial infections. Ciprofloxacin inhibits DNA gyrase. Erythromycin binds in front of the A site on the 50S subunit of the ribosome. Acyclovir is a guanine analog.
1) prepare down the steps in protein synthesis which are inhibited by each drug?
2) Which drug is more efficient against bacteria? describe why?
3) Which drug is more efficient against viruses? describe why?
4) Which drugs will encompass effects on the host's cells? describe why?
5) Use the index to recognize the disease for which acyclovir is used. describe why is it more efficient than erythromycin for treating this disease?