Charles C. is 65 year old executive who is overweight and has freshly been diagnosed with the high Blood pressure. He has just completed the class on the principles of DASH (Dietary Approaches to stop Hypertension) diet and has set the goal to lower his intake of fat and sodium and to raise his intake of calcium and potassium-rich foods. Mr.C. has met the friend for lunch at his favourite restaurant that features pizza, soups, salads, and sandwiches.
1. Based upon information provided in this chapter, what food groups are good sources of the potassium and Calcium?
2. What are the menu items at Mr.C's favorite restaurant which would provide these nutrients?
3. What may be a calcium-rich menu choice that is as well low in fat?
4. Charles likes soup purchase notices which most soups on the menu hold a significant amount of sodium. What is one strategy he may use?
5. How might my Plate icon aid Charles order the healthy meal?
6. Based upon information provided in this chapter, order the lunch for Mr.C. that comprises at least three food groups and meets his recent dietary goals.