Charles C. is a 65 year old executive who is overweight and has recently been diagnosed with high Blood pressure. He has just completed a class on the principles of the DASH( Dietary Approaches to stop Hypertension) diet and has set a goal to lower his intake of fat and sodium and to increase his intake of calcium and potassium-rich foods. Mr.C. has met a friend for lunch at his favorite restaurant that features pizza, salads, soups, and sandwiches.
1. Based on information provided in this chapter, what food groups are good sources of potassium? Calcium?
2. What are some menu items at Mr.C's favorite restaurant that would provide these nutrients?
3. What might be a calcium-rich menu choice that is also low in fat?
4. Charles likes soup buy notices that most soups on the menu contain a significant amount of sodium. What is one strategy he might use?
5. How might the my Plate icon help Charles order a healthy meal?
6. Based on information provided in this chapter, order a lunch for Mr.C. that includes at least 3 food groups and meets his current dietary goals.