1. A natural process which converts non-reactive nitrogen to reactive nitrogen, which is useable by living things is termed as:
a) aerobic respiration.
c) nitrogen fixation.
2. describe how would a population of algae in a lake respond to an excess influx of phosphate from runoff, if phosphates are normally found at low levels?
a) The algae would all die and sink to the bottom.
b) Only the most resistant algae would survive.
c) No change, since phosphates are not usually a necessary nutrient.
d) No change, since phosphates are not a limiting factor.
e) It would raise until either a shortage of phosphates or some other nutrient would again limit their growth.
3. As compared to rates of change which take place in nature, human-induced changes tend to be:
b) likewise slow and gradual.
c) only slightly faster.
d) extremely rapid.
e) variable, with many fluctuations.
4. Which of the given is TRUE of market valuation of natural goods and services?
a) It is simpler to assign market value to natural goods than ecosystem services.
b) Only natural goods which can be sold can be assigned an economic value.
c) Only natural goods have an economic value.
d) Only natural goods have instrumental value.
e) Only ecosystem services contribute to human well being.
5. The goal of sustainable forestry is:
a) maximum yield.
b) maximum sustainable yield.
c) management of the forest as an ecosystem.
d) sustainable timber production.
e) production of timber for a variety of uses.