describe grammar and mechanics of writing
1. Which one of the following sentences uses the apostrophe correctly?
A. She enjoyed the movie and told me it's scenery reminded her of her hometown.
B. You really ought to take up fly-fishing-it's a very relaxing hobby.
C. This is a fine piece of furniture, and it's merits speak for themselves.
D. She wants to study music in all of it's various genres.
2. In which one of the following sentences is the semicolon used correctly?
A. There were five items on the kitchen counter; a coffeemaker, a bag of beans, a grinder, a sugar bowl, and a cracked cup.
B. At first I couldn't make out what kind of bird it was, but as it swooped low, I recognized it by its markings; a peregrine falcon.
C. I still need to take History 101; Math 410; and Biology 243.
D. In the nineties, everyone was listening to grunge; today, everyone seems to tune in to hip-hop.
3. Which one of the following sentences uses quotation marks correctly?
A. "Some laws," he intoned, "are made to be broken."
B. "Put those books on the shelves, she said, Or we'll never be able to locate them again."
C. The title of the first chapter in the new science book is "Introduction to the Planet Earth".
D. Her short story, "The Last Day of Spring", won first prize.
4. Which one of the following modes for composition is best suited for the topic "my first
day at my new job"?
A. Narration C. Definition
B. Cause and effect D. Comparison and contrast
5. Which one of the following elements is most important when you're writing your
A. Making sure your spelling is correct
B. Writing grammatically correct sentences
C. Getting your ideas down on paper
D. Checking the punctuation in each sentence
6. Suppose you're exploring a subject for a composition. Which one of the following
methods is used by journalists and can help you discover ideas about a subject?
A. Journaling C. probleming
B. Freewriting D. Brainstorming