1. How did the expansion of slavery impact the U.S. government's relationship with Native Americans?
2. How did the cotton, tobacco, rice and sugar serve as cash crops and influence how slavery varied from region to region?
3. What is meant by "term slavery" or hiring out and how did this practice increase a slaves' likelihood of gaining their freedom from bondage?
4. What prompted the rise in the domestic slave trade? How were slaves families impacted by this internal trade?
5. How did older slaves prepare younger generations to deal with the brutal realities of slavery (punishments, sexual exploitation, poor diet, intolerable working conditions, etc)?