Assignment 1: Computer Platforms
Computer systems may be classified into two categories: classical and quantum. This assignment will focus on classical computers. Classical computer systems' design trends have been shifting from very large systems that occupy warehouse size buildings down to handheld systems. Very large systems include supercomputers such as the K computer, SPARC64 VIIIfx 2.0 GHz, Tofu interconnect manufactured by Fujitsu. It has 705,024 CPU cores and 1,410.048 GB of RAM and is the largest in the world. A list of the top 10 supercomputers can be been seen at http://top500.org/ Website. Handheld systems include smartphones such as the iPhone, Android, and Windows 7 Phone. There are also embedded systems, which run real-time operating systems to control automobile engines, industrial robots, spacecraft, and industrial control systems.
prepare a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
1. Compare and contrast the following, in terms of cores (or microprocessors), random access memory (RAM), disk storage, and networking capabilities.
- Mainframe computers
- Desktop computers
- Handheld computers
2. Suppose that you were an architect working for a Fortune 500 company with millions of customers. Your company would like to provide a Web-based self-service computer environment for customers.
1. Determine the computer platform that your company should use so that it can scale to the millions of customers. Include how the platform should be managed for high availability and redundancy for continuous uptimes.
2. describe how you would convince your company to adopt your solution. Provide both technical and business reasons.
3. Computer users have been moving to using tablet and smartphone devices in larger numbers.
- CEOs, CIOs, managers, and end users need to be able to access data everywhere using these devices. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of these devices in terms of computing power, maintenance, and security.
- Select the one that you would advise to buy and describe why.
4. Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the professor's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe processor technology, architecture and future trends in processing.
- Describe the main classes of hardware and system software components.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in computer architecture.
- prepare clearly and concisely about computer architecture using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.