Think of an organization with which you are known, maybe one you have worked for or where you were a member. Then answer the following problems.
1) Using the jobs characteristics approach, how motivating do you think the job of a typical employee is in this organization is?
2) Can you think of a way typical job could be enlarged or enriched?
3) What kind of organizational structure does the organization use? If it was part of a chain or larger organization, what structure does the entire organization use? What other structures discussed in the text might allow the organization to operate more effectively? Such as, will the product team structure lead to greater effectiveness or defectiveness why or why not?
4) How many levels are there in the organization's hierarchy? Is the authority centralized or decentralized? Describe the span of control of the top manager and middle or first-line managers.
5) Is the distribution of authority appropriate for the organization and its activities?
6) describe the organizations culture and the way it affects how people and groups behave.
How are Internet technologies affecting the structure and work roles of modern organizations? Like, will middle management wither away? Would companies consist primarily of self-directed project teams of knowledge workers? Describe your answer.