Software Problem Specification (SS)
Phone Company (WLPC) is a provider of wireless phone service in the US with 100,000 customers serving mostly small markets. WLPC has just purchased additional airwaves in the US, Canada and Mexico. They are expecting to win bids on airwaves in Eastern Europe, India and China. Because WLPC is serving the smaller markets, they have not invested in online billing and payment. With the expected growth and the larger markets, WLPC management has decided they need to offer customers the ability to review their airtime usage and bills as well as pay the bills online. You are a software engineer for WLPC online site and have been tasked by WLPC management to lead the team responsible for requirement elicitation and analysis, design, test and creating software development project plan.
Software Development Plan (SDP)
Using the Software Project Problem Specification (SS) in the syllabus, create and deliver a document artifact, Software Development plan (SDP) for the software system
Address the following software project management activities and create the artifacts for each of the activity:
Risk Assessment and Management:
• Identify and at least five potential risks to the successful completion of your project.
• Rank the risks from greatest to least according to their severity (also referred to as Criticality). In order to quantify the severity of a risk, you need to estimate's its impact to the successful completion of the project and its probability of occurrence. Impact can be measured in ($) lost and probability is a value between zero and 1. Use your judgment for quantifying impact and probability for each risk.
Work Breakdown and Scheduling a Software Project:
• Perform task breakdown for the project. Assign task sets to individuals or teams and allocated resources, scheduled for execution, assigned budget, and so on.
• Develop a schedule for the entire project.
Use the following references for guidance on how to develop software project management plan
1. Module 5 commentary (available in the course content section)
2. IEEE standard documents (available in the reserved readings section) - Standard 1058-1998, Standard for Software Project Management Plans
Your Software Development Plan (SDP) assignment should contain:
1. Problem statement: Discuss context and boundaries of IT system with engineering rationale.
2. Project scope: Discuss project scope and link to problem statement, with engineering rationale.
3. Actors and Responsibilities: Discuss roles and responsibilities of the key actors in the project.
4. Project effort and duration estimates: A quantitative analysis of project effort and duration is provided based on techniques discussed in the text or other valid references
5. Project schedule with work breakdown: Gantt or other chart depicting critical SDLC tasks over time is provided Project timeline is consistent with the project duration estimate SDLC tasks are insufficiently or not at all decomposed
6. Staffing: Staff size estimate is quantitative but not based on methods given in the text
7. Resources, dependencies, and project specifics
8. Risk assessment: Project risks are describeed qualitatively, with no analysis or ranking of risks
9. Formal document structure based on the industry standard, including title page, TOC, references.