Select two company and describe 5 question answer about the company. I choose Volkswagen - Germany & Honda- Japan.
This task requires you to work both individually and as part of a group to consider the Corporate Social Responsibility performance and stated values of two similar organisations and apply the Giving Voice to Values framework.
There are two parts to this task and each part is worth 20% of your final grade.
Part A- Business Values Assessment Report
Part B- Application of the GVV framework - scenario development, script development and role play presentation
Please see below for the details of these Task Requirements.
PART A - BUSINESS VALUES ASSESSMENT REPORT
For this component, you need to work in a group of five (5) students to consider the values and social performance of two companies. You are required to consider and discuss the companies as a group, but must submit your responses to the questions as individuals.
1. As a group, select two companies that produce social reports and whose values are identified on their websites or in other company documents (that are publicly available). At least one of these companies must have had the social responsibility of their business activities queried and the two companies selected by your group must be either:
(a) From different industries but in the same country; or
(b) From the same industry but different countries.
By Week Five (or on the date otherwise advised by your lecturer) your group must provide the names of the companies you have selected to research, and the industry and country within which they operate.
2. As a group, research each of your companies to determine their company values, their approaches to social responsibility and their reporting of their social performances.
3. As an individual, you are required to identify and briefly describe the two companies you have researched and then provide responses to the following questions:
i. What differences are evident between the two companies in terms of the range of issues dealt with in the reports and the depth of coverage on specific issues?
ii. To what extent can these differences be explained by the country or industry differences? What other explanations might there be?
iii. Assess the apparent quality of the social accounting approach utilized by each company according to Zadek et al.'s (1997) criteria (available in the Assessing Social Performance extract on Moodle).
iv. Discuss the extent to which the social reports reflect the values of your selected companies.
v. Briefly reflect on your groups' discussions of these companies. In what ways did the ideas presented by your group confirm your own conclusions or present another perspective to you?
Part B - Application of GVV Framework
In this group task you will work with the same group members as for Assessment - Part A. This task requires your group to:
i. Consider the ethical dilemma identified in your research of one of the companies compared in Assessment - Part A;
ii. Develop a fictional scenario that outlines how this ethical dilemma could have presented itself at this company. This scenario should be similar in format and style to the GVV/Babson scenarios and should describe a possible workplace situation that illustrates the emergence if this dilemma; the key stakeholders & characters, the key facts and the background information that has led to this issue;
iii. Apply the Giving Voice to Values framework to this scenario:
• What is the ethical dilemma/values conflict presented in your scenario?
• What are the main arguments you are trying to counter? That is, what are the reasons and rationalizations you need to address?
• Who are the stakeholders and what is at stake for the key parties (including those who disagree with you)?
• What levers/arguments could you use to influence those with whom you disagree?
• What is your most powerful and persuasive response to the reasons and rationalizations you need to address? To whom should the arguments be made? When and in what context?
• Develop a script that applies the GVV framework to this scenario and its ethical dilemma
iv. Present this script to the class group as a role play.