Training to be a counsellor is a multifaceted process, that takes time and commitment to ensure success. An often overlooked starting point is examining oneself. Self-assessment is a review of your interests, values, personality, strengths, weaknesses, and view of human nature. The more deeply you analyze these factors; the better you will be able to understand your reactions to others in helping situations.
Aim of this assignment is for you to think that who you are now, what has influenced your values, attitudes and beliefs, and how your outlook influences your decision to pursue counselling (or your chosen discipline). In describing who you are now, focus on those factors that how you have changed after this course. Describe what you have "leant and how you will apply counselling skill in your work area.
In describing experiences which influence your attitudes, values, and beliefs, avoid chronological details i.e., date and place of birth.
Instead, use the following problems to facilitate your exploration. You can include.
1) What significant events in your life have shaped who you are? (for ex think about work history, family values and dynamics, cultural events, etc.)
2) What have you learned about yourself from those events?
3) What kinds of positive and negative messages have you received from yourself, family, friends, teachers, and other significant persons, and how did these messages influence your worldview?
4) How have societal and cultural messages affected you? (i.e., the messages you've received about the ideal woman or man, messages about race and ethnicity).
5) Consider how your image of yourself affects the way you view your human nature.
6)How does your self-concept influence the way you think about human change?
Hassan is a fifth grade student. He has been very active in school academically and in curricular activities, but recently his teacher has erotized changes in his behaviour. He has become more withdrawn and has not been participating in school activities, he gets angry often and frequently complains or' headaches.
When teacher asked, he has been uncooperative and has remained silent.
1) What you have learnt, about communication, describe how you will try to get Hassan to discuss with, you if there are any issues.
2) What are some of the techniques you will use to facilitate communication?
3) How would you go about in assisting Hassan?