The government of Canada has decided to accommodate 100,000 immigrants from other countries. This announcement has produced mixed responses in Canada.
1) Influx of immigrants will exert undue pressure on the health and housing.
2) The present government of Canada won the last general election thanks to the votes of immigrants.
3) The western part of the country is sparsely populated.
4) The majority of immigrants will have followed a tertiary education course.
5) In Canada, youngsters tend to take white collar jobs.
6) Canada has friendly relations with neighboring countries.
7) Adaptation of immigrants will not be simple
8) Criminals are rigorously dealt with in Canada.
9) Agriculture has been abandoned due to a shortage of labor.
10) The government is willing to give financial help to immigrants.
11) Canada has registered a decline in birth rate in recent years.
12) Canada is a mono-cultural country.
13) Education in not free in Canada.
14) Attempts to develop the tourist industry in the country have been devoid of success.
problem 1: On the basis of information given, describe why the government might permit immigrants into the country. Your answer must be in your own words and must not exceed 150 words.
problem 2: With reference to the above facts, what might be the difficulties that the government may face with the immigrants?
problem 3: Why, do you think, might the people object to the arrival of the immigrants?
problem 4: In around 300 words of your own, describe why the government is right to encourage the immigrations.