Business Ethics Discussion
Technological determinism is the imperative that what can be developed will be developed. Ethical lag occurs when the speed of technological change exceeds the speed of ethical development. A variety of issues arise in the business context at the crossroads of technology and ethics.
Please address the following:
• One of the technological issues that arise in the business context is that of privacy. What personal information do businesses acquire from their employees? Their shareholders? Their customers? Their vendors? How should organizations protect this information?
• Have you witnessed unethical activities related to technology, either by employees in a company in which you've worked or at school? What made the activity unethical? How was this unethical conduct addressed by management or school administrators? How should it have been addressed?
1. Are there any benefits or negative side effects of technology in business that have not been mentioned in this chapter? Discuss.
2. Do you agree that society is intoxicated with technology? Does this pose special problems for business with respect to the ethics of technology? Will such intoxication blind people to ethical considerations in business?
3. Do you think business is abusing its power with respect to invasion of privacy of both consumers and employees? What about surveillance? Which particular practice do you think is the most problemable?
4. Is it an exaggeration to problem the ethical implications for business of cell phone and text-messaging use? Discuss both sides of this issue.
5. Do you think genetically modified foods raise a legitimate safety hazard? Should government agencies such as the FDA take more action to require safety testing? What about warning labels? Do you think warning labels would unfairly stigmatize GMFs and make consumers problem their safety? Is this fair to the GMF