1. With advances in DNA use, it may be possible to effectively solve crime by requiring the submission of DNA samples at birth for inclusion in a national DNA database. What do you think of this idea? What potential civil liberty violations exist with the implementation of such a program?
2. In your opinion, is technology a new concept in the fight against crime? What challenges does new technology pose on the criminal justice system?
2. Do you agree or disagree with laws that provide stricter penalties for crimes that are motivated by race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc.? (Commonly known as "hate crimes.")
Why or why not? What is the public policy behind such laws?
What about stricter penalties for gang-related crimes?
1. Do you agree with laws that:
• Prohibit gambling?
• Prohibit prostitution?
• Prohibit underage drinking?
• Prohibit drinking while driving?
• Prohibit drug use?
• Prohibit smoking in public places?
• Require seatbelt use?
• Require helmet use?
• Require school attendance for minors?
• Require dogs to be on a leash?
Why or why not? describe and discuss your position.