• In 1997, United States made female circumcision under age of 18 illegal (Horowitz and Jackson, 1995). How was this decision prepared? What constituents are analyzed when attempting to deem illegal?
• How does the practice of the female circumcision diverge from the other practices identified in readings? What is it about this practice which makes it illegal? For instance, the Jewish faith continues to practice ritual of circumcision; some Native American tribes continue to employ peyote throughout ritualistic practices; these remain legal – why these and not others?
• Clearly the topic of the female circumcision is the volatile one however how much of our reaction comes from our own discomfort with practice? Are we overlooking the fact which the practice is part of culture? Are we attempting to force this specific culture to fit in our comfort “box”?
• What sort of treatment approach would you take with the person coming from culture which engages in practices different from your own? Specifically if it’s a practice which makes you uncomfortable?
Now revisit the article from the Kaiser Family Foundation and respond to following problems:
• What are some of major reasons for health disparities based upon race/ethnicity in U.S.?
• Do you think the numerous programs which have been discussed in this article will aid diminish those disparities? Why or why not?
Min Pages: 1