Organisations and Behaviour:
According to Bergstram and Hamilton, organisations have different structures and these structures have a bearing on attitudes and behaviour. Each organization has a different culture and structure which makes them a different performer altogether. Behavior of individuals working in these organisations also is influenced by the structure and the culture of the organisation.
As part of a management training programme in your organisation, you are required to undertake research into; two different types of organizations one of which should be a local company and the other an international company dealing in 2 different products or services.
problem 1: Compare and contrast different organisational structures and culture.
problem 2: describe how the relationship between an organisation’s structure and culture can impact on the performance of the business.
problem 3: Discuss the factors which influence individual behaviour at work.
problem 4: Describe how organisational theory underpins the practice of management.
problem 5: Evaluate the different approaches to management used by different organizations.
problem 6: Make judgments using relevant theories about organisational structure and culture.
problem 7: Use complex information related to management theory and synthesize and process the information concisely.
problem 8: Suggest realistic improvements against defined characteristics for success.
problem 9: Demonstrate independently using the two chosen organisations the relevance of the approach to management being used.
1) Describe different types of structures eg: flat structure, tall structure, etc.
2) Describe the principles of a good organisational structure eg: division of work, centralisation and decentralisation, etc.
3) Describe different types of culture, signs of culture and development of organisational culture
4) Compare and contrast your chosen organisational structures and their cultures
5) Discuss the relationship between an organisation’s structure and culture and how it can impact on the performance of the business.
6) Discuss factors such as personality, perception, attitude, self-image, etc. which influence individual behaviour at work
7) describe the organisational theory i.e. scientific management, classical administration, etc.
8) Discuss the functions of management
9) Describe the nature of managerial authority generally seen in the organisation
10) Evaluate the different approaches to management used by different organisations
• Effectively assess from both organisations; relevant theories and techniques of organisational structure and culture to achieve the objectives.
• Relate organisational theory to two different organizations referred and evaluate the appropriate approach used by both the organisations.
• Relating your merit work further, propose realistic improvements to both organisations selecting appropriate organisational structure and culture to enhance the performance of the business.
• Using two different organisations, assess the relevance of the approach used by the chosen organisation and provide suitable recommendations for improvement.