The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) has mandated that organizations have policies in place by January 2009 for codes of conduct for employees. Evaluate the Sentinel Event article (The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, 2008) provided in the readings above and prepare a detailed discussion describing the policy. Include:
Follow this link to obtain Sentinel article:
1) Sentinel Event description
2) Purpose for event reporting
3) What authority does The Joint Commission have to make such a mandate?
4) What happens to a facility that does not comply?
5) If you work for an organization, even it is not health care, is there a code of conduct policy in place?
6) Do you know about it?
7) Have you been oriented on the policy? If so, has anyone had to report an incident?