Ecosystems can change over time in the process known as natural succession. When ecosystem is disturbed, both the physical (abiotic) and living (biotic) characteristics might be altered. Disturbances may be natural (e.g., a fire started by lightning) or anthropogenic - human caused (e.g., a fire started by a campfire.)
1. Choose a specific ecosystem and discuss the consequences for damage to the ecosystem and recovery of the ecosystem when it is disturbed by a natural AND an anthropogenic event.
2. Describe the severity of the disturbances.
3. How will the abiotic and biotic characteristics of the ecosystem change?
4. How quickly will the ecosystem recover (the ecosystem's resilience)?
5. Should recovery be allowed to proceed naturally, or should humans intervene with restoration practices? Why or why not?