Identify a film, book, television show, or other form of media/art that involves characters/narrators reflecting upon the nature of identity and the self.
Discuss at least one theory of identity. For ex, you may discuss rationalism, empiricism, or phenomenology. Cite support from the primary text selections in the chapter as well as authoritative secondary sources such as the course text and online lectures.
Analyze the film using at least one of the theories of identity or freedom from this week's readings and lectures.
- You may want to consider the following problems while choosing a relevant theory and analyzing the media:
- Do the characters doubt their own existence or their ability to know themselves and the world around them?
- Do the characters/narrator reflect upon whether they exist and how they know what they know?
- To what extent do the following factors impact their sense of self: emotions, past experiences, rationality, other people, race, gender, socio-economic status, ethnicity, and religion?
- Are they conscious of themselves as having a "self?"