A powerful city court magistrate engages in a number of problemable activities while on duty. A list of some of the activities includes the following:
- Borrowing money from court employees
- Publicly endorsing and campaigning for a candidate for judicial office
- Conducting personal business from the court chambers
- Directing other business court employees to perform personal errands for him during court hours
- Suggesting to persons appearing before him to contribute to certain charities in lieu of paying fines
- Using court employees to perform translating services for his mother's day care business
- Which, if any, of these activities would be considered unethical? Why?
- Which of these activities, if any, would be considered ethical and acceptable?
Be sure to use any research or exs to support your arguments.
Also be sure to address each of the above activities and describe whether or not you feel each is ethical or unethical.
Taken together, would these actions warrant the judge's being disciplined? Would it warrant the judge's removal from office? Why or why not?