Ask Question, Ask an Expert

+1-415-315-9853

info@mywordsolution.com

Ask Basic Finance Expert

problem 1: Valuing Callable Bonds

Bowdeen Manufacturing intends to issue callable, perpetual bonds with annual coupon payments. The bonds are callable at $1,350. One-year interest rates are 12 percent. There is a 40 percent probability that long-term interest rates one year from today will be 17 percent, and a 60 percent probability that they will be 7 percent. Assume that if interest rates fall the bonds will be called.

Required:

What coupon rate should the bonds have in order to sell at par value?

problem 2: Interest on Zeroes

Tesla Corporation needs to raise funds to finance a plant expansion, and it has decided to issue 25-year zero coupon bonds to raise the money. The required return on the bonds will be 8 percent. Assume semiannual compounding.

Required:

a) What will these bonds sell for at issuance?

b) Using the IRS amortization rule, what interest deduction can the company take on these bonds in the first year? In the last year?

c) Repeat part (b) using the straight-line method for the interest deduction.

d) Based on your answers in (b) and (c), which interest deduction method would Tesla Corporation prefer?

problem 3: Firm Value

Old School Corporation expects an EBIT of $9,000 every year forever. Old School currently has no debt, and its cost of equity is 18 percent. The firm can borrow at 11 percent. The corporate tax rate is 35 percent.

Required:

a) What is the value of the firm?

b) What will the value be if Old School converts to 50 percent debt and 100 percent debt?

problem 4: Break-Even EBIT

Rolston Corporation is comparing two different capital structures, an all-equity plan (Plan I) and a levered plan (Plan II). Under Plan I, Rolston would have 162,000 shares of stock outstanding. Under Plan II, there would be 108,000 shares of stock outstanding and $1.62 million in debt outstanding. The interest rate on the debt is 10 percent, and there are no taxes.

Required:

A) If EBIT is $292,000, find out the EPS for each plan.

B) If EBIT is $1,264,000, find out the EPS for each plan.

C) find out the break-even EBIT?

problem 5: Agency Costs

Tom Scott is the owner, president, and primary salesperson for Scott Manufacturing. Because of this, the company’s profits are driven by the amount of work Tom does. If he works 40 hours each week, the company’s EBIT will be $405,000 per year; if he works a 50-hour week, the company’s EBIT will be $505,000 per year. The company is currently worth $2.7 million. The company needs a cash infusion of $1.32 million, and it can issue equity or issue debt with an interest rate of 9.5 percent. Assume there are no corporate taxes.

Required:

A) What are the cash flows to Tom under each scenario?

B) Under which form of financing is Tom likely to work harder?

  • Debit issue
  • Equity issue

problem 6: Costs of Financial Distress

Steinberg Corporation and Dietrich Corporation are identical firms except that Dietrich is more levered. Both companies will remain in business for one more year. The companies' economists agree that the probability of the continuation of the current expansion is 75 percent for the next year, and the probability of a recession is 25 percent. If the expansion continues, each firm will generate earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT) of $2.42 million. If a recession occurs, each firm will generate earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT) of $913,000. Steinberg's debt obligation requires the firm to pay $813,000 at the end of the year. Dietrich's debt obligation requires the firm to pay $1.15 million at the end of the year. Neither firm pays taxes. Assume a discount rate of 11 percent.

Required:

A) What is the value today of Steinberg's debt and equity? What about that for Dietrich's?

B) Steinberg's CEO recently stated that Steinberg's value should be higher than Dietrich's because the firm has less debt and therefore less bankruptcy risk. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

  • Agree
  • Disagree

Basic Finance, Finance

  • Category:- Basic Finance
  • Reference No.:- M91454

Have any Question? 


Related Questions in Basic Finance

Consider a projects incremental cash flows in order -700

Consider a project's incremental cash flows in order: -$700, $400, $300, $400. Assume a cost of capital of 7%. How does the NPV that you get by using Excel's NPV function all by itself compare to the correct NPV for this ...

Choose an global industry and consider the following topics

Choose an global industry and consider the following topics: diversification, investment, management, exchange rates or currency forecasts. Which of these would be most significant to your selected industry and how would ...

How do options on futures differ from options on the asset

How do options on futures differ from options on the asset underlying the futures? The open interest in a futures contract changes from day to day. Suppose that investors holding long positions are divided into two group ...

Explain how a short call added to a protective put forms a

Explain how a short call added to a protective put forms a collar and how it changes the payoff and up-front cost? Explain the process by which the profit of a short straddle closed out prior to expiration is influenced ...

Describe the essentials of financial engineering some

Describe the essentials of financial engineering ? Some companies have come unstuck dealing financially engineered instruments. Why do you suppose this is? Banks pay big salaries to financial engineers. What traits do th ...

The unemployment rate in a city is 12 if 9 people from the

The unemployment rate in a city is 12%. If 9 people from the city are sampled at random, find the probability that fewer than 2 of them are unemployed. Carry your intermediate computations to at least four decimal places ...

Ford is about to issue a new corporate bond face value 1000

Ford is about to issue a new corporate bond, face value= $1,000, coupon rate 8% (Annual), term to maturity= 4 years. You know that a very similar bond issued by GM is already being traded in a bond market with its market ...

Which financial variable must be multiplied by the return

Which financial variable must be multiplied by the return on assets ratio in order to calculate the return on stockholders' equity ratio? Which financial ratio assesses management performance by measuring the profitabili ...

What is the firms goal in short-term investing how does it

What is the firm's goal in short-term investing? How does it use money market mutual funds? Describe some of the popular money market financial instruments in each of the following groups: a. U.S. Treasuries b. Federal a ...

Excel assignmentsthis assignment is to develop an excel

Excel Assignments This assignment is to develop an Excel Spreadsheet for a company. The spreadsheet should include instructions on how to enter in the inputs. (For example, should the initial investment be entered in as ...

  • 4,153,160 Questions Asked
  • 13,132 Experts
  • 2,558,936 Questions Answered

Ask Experts for help!!

Looking for Assignment Help?

Start excelling in your Courses, Get help with Assignment

Write us your full requirement for evaluation and you will receive response within 20 minutes turnaround time.

Ask Now Help with Problems, Get a Best Answer

WalMart Identification of theory and critical discussion

Drawing on the prescribed text and/or relevant academic literature, produce a paper which discusses the nature of group

Section onea in an atwood machine suppose two objects of

SECTION ONE (a) In an Atwood Machine, suppose two objects of unequal mass are hung vertically over a frictionless

Part 1you work in hr for a company that operates a factory

Part 1: You work in HR for a company that operates a factory manufacturing fiberglass. There are several hundred empl

Details on advanced accounting paperthis paper is intended

DETAILS ON ADVANCED ACCOUNTING PAPER This paper is intended for students to apply the theoretical knowledge around ac

Create a provider database and related reports and queries

Create a provider database and related reports and queries to capture contact information for potential PC component pro