The annual returns of three stocks during the last eight years are presented.
STOCK A: 1%, 6%, 10%, 18%, 20%, 7%, -10%, -2%
STOCK B: 12%, 9%, 16%, 11%, -5%, -2%, -2%, 6%
STOCK C: 20%, -2%, 33%, 10%, -8%, -10%, 8%, 30%
1) Using Excel, Determine the average return, and the standard deviation of returns for each stock. Which stock has the highest expected return and which one has the highest risk?
2) Using Excel, Determine the correlation coefficient and the covariance between each pair of stocks.
3) Using Excel, Determine the expected return, and the standard deviation of returns of equally weighted portfolios consisting of two stocks (AB, BC, and AC) and three (ABC) stocks.
4) Create charts showing how the standard deviation of the two-stock (AB and AC) portfolios' returns changes as the weight of one stock (A) changes.
5) Use the Solver to determine the minimum variance portfolio composed of three stocks (ABC).