Ask Question, Ask an Expert

+1-415-315-9853

info@mywordsolution.com

Ask Managerial Accounting Expert

BUDGETS:

Jay Rexford, president of Photo Artistry Company, was just concluding a budget meeting up with his senior staff. It was November of 2013 and the group was discussing preparation of the firm’s master budget for 2014. I have decided to go ahead and purchase the industrial robot we have been talking about. We will make the acquisition on January 2 of next year and I expect it will take most of the year to train the personnel and reorganize the production procedure to take full benefit of the new equipment.

In response to a problem regarding financing the acquisition, Rexford replied as follows: The robot will cost $950,000. There will as well be an additional $50,000 in ancillary equipment to be purchased. We will finance such purchases with a one year $1,000,000 loan from Shark Bank and Trust Company. He negotiated a repayment schedule of four equal installments on the last day of each quarter. The interest rate will be 10%, and interest payments will be quarterly as well. With that the meeting broke up and the budget process was on.

Photo Artistry Company is a manufacturer of metal picture frames. The firm’s two product lines are designated as S (small frames; 5×7 inches) and L (large frames; 8×10 inches). The primary raw materials are flexible metal strips and 9 inch by 24 inch glass sheets. Each S frame needs a 2 foot metal strip; an L frame needs a 3 foot metal strip. Allowing for normal breakage and scrap glass, the company can get either four S frames or two L frames out of a glass sheet. The other raw materials, like cardboard backing, are insignificant in cost and are treated as indirect materials. Emily Jackson, Photo Artistry's controller, is in charge of preparing the master budget for 2014. She has gathered the given information:

1) Sales in the fourth quarter of 2013 are predicted to be 50,000 S frames and 40,000 L frames. The sales manager predicts that over the next two years, sales in each product line will grow by 5,000 units each quarter over the preceding quarter. For illustration, S frame sales in the first quarter of 2014 are predicted to be 55,000 units.

2) Photo Artistry's sales history points out that 60% of all sales are on credit, with the remainder of the sales in cash. The company’s collection experience exhibits that 80% of the credit sales are collected throughout the quarter in which the sale is made, while the remaining 20% is collected in the, following quarter. For simplicity, suppose the company is able to collect 100% of its accounts receivable.

3) The S frame sells for $10 and the L frame sells for $15. These prices are predicted to hold constant all through 2014.

4) The production manager attempts to end each quarter with adequate finished goods inventory in each product line to cover 20% of the following quarter’s sales.

5) Photo Artistry makes an attempt to end each quarter with 20% of the glass sheets required for the following quarter's production. The company wants to have an inventory of 10,400 sheets at the end of 2014.

6) Metal strips are purchased locally and the company buys them on a just in time basis.  Inventory of metal strips is negligible.

7) All direct material purchases are made up on account and 80% of each quarter’s purchases are paid in cash throughout the same quarter as the purchase. The other 20% is paid in the next quarter.

8) Indirect materials are purchased with cash as required. Work in process is negligible.

9) Projected manufacturing costs in 2014 are as shown below:

1056_Projected manufacturing cost.jpg

10) Manufacturing equipment depreciation is $20,000 per quarter.

11) Photo Artistry’s quarterly selling and administrative expenses are $100,000, paid in cash.  The company rents all its administrative office space and equipment. Therefore, there is no depreciation associated to the administrative functions of the company.

12) The $1,000,000 loan from Shark Bank and Trust Company will be received on January 1, 2014. Photo Artistry will use all the money instantly to purchase new equipment. Interest payments will be made at the end of each quarter. Loan principal will be paid in four equivalent installments of $250,000 at the end of each quarter.

13) Jackson anticipates that dividends of $50,000 will be declared and paid in cash each quarter.

14) Photo Artistry’s projected balance sheet as of December 31, 2013, shown below:

2029_projected balance sheet.jpg

Required:

problem 1: Make Photo Artistry Company’s master budget for 2014 by completing the given schedules:

• Schedule 1: Sales budget with a schedule of expected cash collections.
• Schedule 2: Production budget.
• Schedule 3: Direct materials budget with a schedule of cash disbursements for materials.
• Schedule 4: Direct labor budget.
• Schedule 5: Manufacturing overhead budget
• Schedule 6: Ending finished goods inventory budget.
• Schedule 7: Selling and administrative expenses budget.
• Schedule 8: Cash budget.
• Schedule 9: Budgeted Income Statement.
• Schedule 10: Budgeted Balance Sheet.

problem 2: Make a memo for Photo Artistry Company identifying issues which management must consider in improving the profitability of the company; giving some recommendations.

Managerial Accounting, Accounting

  • Category:- Managerial Accounting
  • Reference No.:- M93114

Have any Question? 


Related Questions in Managerial Accounting

Instructionsall assignments must be typed in a minimum 11

Instructions: All assignments must be typed in a minimum 11 font size into the assignment template question sheet (available on Moodle). Additional pages may be added as needed. There is no word limit, but be guided by t ...

Suppose a firm has had the historical sales figures shown

Suppose a firm has had the historical sales figures shown as follows. What would be the forecast for next year's sales using REGRESSION to estimate a trend? 2008: $2,000,000 2009: $1,800,000 2010: $2,200,000 2011: $2,400 ...

Managerial accounting assignment questionwidget airlines is

Managerial Accounting Assignment Question Widget Airlines is a leading business in travelling industry and has experienced turbulent times during the past 10 years due to stiff competition and as a result of global slowd ...

You have almost convinced yourself that there might be a

You have almost convinced yourself that there might be a successful business in the idea of bringing senior citizens together in arcades to play various games on Wii (or something similar). You think about how people lik ...

Suppose a firm has had the following historic sales

Suppose a firm has had the following historic sales figures: 2009: 1,450,000 2010: $ 1,710,000 2011 : $ 1,600,000 2012: $ 2,000,000 2013: $ 1,850,000 What would be the forecast for next year's sales using regression to e ...

Assignemnt decision making with managerial accountingdue to

Assignemnt: Decision Making with Managerial Accounting Due to varying business characteristics, the managerial accounting techniques applied in each business may differ. For example, a business in the start-up phase may ...

Managerial accounting assignmentanswering the questions and

Managerial Accounting Assignment Answering the questions and compiling your answers into a word processing document. 1. The work in process inventory account of a manufacturing company shows a balance of $3,000 at the en ...

Wyoming community college has three divisions liberal arts

Wyoming Community College has three divisions: Liberal Arts, Sciences, and Business Administration. The college's comptroller is trying to decide how to allocate the costs of the Admissions Department, the Registrar's De ...

Analysis last year pjs ice cream parlors inc reported an

Analysis Last year, PJ's Ice Cream Parlors, Inc. reported an ROE = 12.0%. The firm's debt ratio was 40%, sales were $25 million, and the capital intensity ratio was .75 times. What is the net income for PJ's last year? ( ...

You have been asked by the president of your company to

You have been asked by the president of your company to evaluate the proposed acquisition of a new special-purpose truck for $60,000. The truck falls into the MACRS 3-year class, and it will be sold after three years for ...

  • 4,153,160 Questions Asked
  • 13,132 Experts
  • 2,558,936 Questions Answered

Ask Experts for help!!

Looking for Assignment Help?

Start excelling in your Courses, Get help with Assignment

Write us your full requirement for evaluation and you will receive response within 20 minutes turnaround time.

Ask Now Help with Problems, Get a Best Answer

WalMart Identification of theory and critical discussion

Drawing on the prescribed text and/or relevant academic literature, produce a paper which discusses the nature of group

Section onea in an atwood machine suppose two objects of

SECTION ONE (a) In an Atwood Machine, suppose two objects of unequal mass are hung vertically over a frictionless

Part 1you work in hr for a company that operates a factory

Part 1: You work in HR for a company that operates a factory manufacturing fiberglass. There are several hundred empl

Details on advanced accounting paperthis paper is intended

DETAILS ON ADVANCED ACCOUNTING PAPER This paper is intended for students to apply the theoretical knowledge around ac

Create a provider database and related reports and queries

Create a provider database and related reports and queries to capture contact information for potential PC component pro