1) If there are odd number of data values in the set, the median would be:
A. value which appears the greatest number of times.
B. value which appears in the centre.
C. average of the two end values.
D. average of all of the values divided by number of values in the set.
2) To answer the problem, refer the given data.
Ten students were sampled at random from a student population. Everyone was asked how many courses he or she was planning on studying in the upcoming year. Following is a list of reported data values: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6
What is the standard deviation for given data values?
3) Which of the following statements is true?
A. In a true census, no inferential statistics could be done, since entire population is the sample.
B. When taking a sample from the population, the variable involved would always be qualitative.
C. A population is the object upon which we collect data.
D. The definition of a census is the decennial census of the United States of America.
4) Use the following data sample to answer the problem .
4, 14, 6, 9, 21, 3, 7, 10
Determine the variance of this data sample?
5) Which of the following involves inferential statistics as opposed to descriptive statistics?
A. Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms department reported that Houston had 1,791 registered gun dealers in 1997.
B. A class of 50 statistics students earned an average grade of 73.5.
C. The city business office reported 35 building permits for new single-family housing units.
D. A local cable system, utilizing a sample of 500 subscribers, estimates that 40 percent of its subscribers watch premium channel at least once per day.
6) Study was conducted of the 12-month earnings per share for two categories of airline companies, with the result shown in the chart below. Based on data, which of the following statements is correct?
A. Large airlines have mean earnings per share of 3.40, and small airlines have a standard deviation of 2.08.
B. Large airlines have a mean earnings per share of 3.40, and small airlines have a mean earnings per share of 1.22.
C. Large airlines have a standard deviation of 2.88, and small airlines have a standard deviation of 4.04.
D. Large airlines have a variance of 4.04, and the small airlines have a variance of 8.30.
7) Consider the following chart:
Business Planning Software Price ($)
SIMPLE Software 4,600
Yale Business Planner 233
In the Black 710
SYBIL 20/20 375
Orion 11 299
Which of the measures of central tendency will best represent that data?
D. Standard deviation
8) In a sample with mean x = 12 and standard deviation s = 3.5, a data point at 16.8 will have what sample z-score?
D. We cannot know the answer without knowing population mean μ and standard deviation σ.
9) Particular sample consists 50 data values. According to Chebyshev's theorem, which of the following is the number of values you will expect to fall within 3.0 standard deviations of the mean?
10) Many ways to make a bar graph deceptive appear below. Which of these is sometimes used to exaggerate differences from one data value to next?
A. Making the graph taller than it needs to be
B. Starting the vertical axis at a point greater than zero
C. Making the graph shorter than it needs to be
D. A gap in the vertical axis
11) Which of the following statements about interpreting standard deviation is true?
A. Chebyshev's Rule cannot be applied unless the frequency distribution is mound-shaped and symmetric. The Empirical Rule could be applied to any data set, regardless of the shape of its frequency distribution.
B. Neither the Empirical Rule nor Chebyshev's Rule could be applied to data unless the frequency distribution is mound-shaped and symmetrical.
C. Empirical Rule cannot be applied unless the frequency distribution is mound-shaped and symmetric. Chebyshev's Rule could be applied to any data set, regardless of the shape of its frequency distribution.
D. Neither Chebyshev's Rule nor the Emprical Rule need any assumptions about the frequency distribution.
12) Use the following data sample to answer the problem. 4, 14, 6, 9, 21, 3, 7, 10 What is the mean of this data sample?
B. There's no mean value.
13) To answer the problem, refer to following data.
Ten students were sampled at random from a student population. Every one was asked how many courses he or she was planning on studying in upcoming year. Following is a list of the reported data values: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6
Find the variance for the data values?