Give an account of the merger between Glencore and Xstrata which was completed in 2012. The exercise is mainly a factual one and will be mainly internet based. There is ample material from the Financial Press – you have library access to the FT etc. You should cover the following points:
1) A brief background to the two companies, their activities and the principle personalities involved in each company
2) The rationale for the merger.
3) The original terms offered and the reaction to those terms from the main shareholders. An account of how the controversy progressed, the arguments from each side and how it was eventually resolved.
4) Two aspects from an agency point of view:
a) What were the costs of advisers etc [Value for money?]
b) What were the offers made to key staff and what was the eventual outcome. Comment on this aspect
5) Your overall view as to whether the merger was good value for shareholders.
6) Any other aspect of the merger which you think was noteworthy.
The usual rules apply:
1) About 2,500 words - Sources should be referenced.
2) Any verbatim material should be limited and placed in quotation marks.
3) Use your own words and avoid jargon, and don’t repeat material you don’t fully understand [it always shows!].