Ask Question, Ask an Expert

+1-415-315-9853

info@mywordsolution.com

Ask Financial Management Expert

Investor Smith is determining whether to invest in the Pacific Pools Corp. (“PPC”) or Swimming-R-Us, Corp. (“SRU”). Smith believes that putting all of eggs in one basket is a sound strategy. Thus, he intends to only invest in either PPC or SRU. Investor Baker is evaluating the same two companies, PPC and SRU. Although Baker believes that investing in many companies at similar time is a sound strategy, and is thus determining whether either PPC or SRU must be added to her portfolio.

Throughout their investigation, both Smith and Baker have found out that the returns on pool manufacture’s stocks are sensitive to weather. Both have determined that if the weather in the US is sunny in the coming year, the stock of PPC must raise by 50%. If the weather in the US is normal, then the stock of PPC must raise by 10% and if the weather in the US is rainy, then the stock of PPC must decrease by 20%. The National Weather Service has indicated that there is a 30% chance for sunny weather, 50% chance for normal weather and a 20% of rainy weather in the coming year.

In addition factors that Smith and Baker have determined about such stocks are that the standard deviation for PPC is 24.98% and the beta for PPC is 1.5. For SRU, the standard deviation is 5%, the expected return (r) is 9% and the beta is .95. In addition, Smith and Baker have determined that the risk-free rate is 5% and the return on the market is expected to be 11%.

Baker currently has a portfolio of three stocks; 30% of her portfolio is made up of Coke that has an expected return (r) of 10% and a beta of .80; 40% of her portfolio is made up of Intel that has an expected return of (r) of 13%, and a beta of 1.5; and, 30% is made up of General Electric, that has an expected return (r) of 11% and a beta of 1.0.

problem 1: Determine the risk, expected return (r) and required return (rs) of Baker’s portfolio. Do this supposing that she has not yet added either PPC or SRU to the portfolio. Is Baker being sufficiently compensated for the risk that she is taking with her portfolio?

problem 2: Determine the required rate of return (rs) for each of stocks in Baker’s portfolio. Which stock must she substitute with either PPC or SRU?

Financial Management, Finance

  • Category:- Financial Management
  • Reference No.:- M9670

Have any Question? 


Related Questions in Financial Management

Mellott corp has an equity value of 13605 long-term debt is

Mellott Corp. has an equity value of $13,605. Long-term debt is $9,000. Net working capital, other than cash, is $3,700. Fixed assets are $18,180 and current liabilities are $1,950. How much cash does the company have? C ...

1 interest earned teresa has just opened a now account that

1. Interest Earned. Teresa has just opened a NOW account that pays 3.5% interest. If she maintains a minimum balance of $500 for the next 12 months, how much interest will she earn? 2. Interest Earned. Lisa is depositing ...

Company z raises 30 on 40 with vc taking convertible

Company Z raises 30 on 40 with VC taking convertible preferred with a conversion price equal to the current share price implied by post money valuation. The conversion rate is 1 PS for 1 CS. Founders originally had 10M s ...

1 why is the priceearnings ratio considered a gauge of

1. Why is the price/earnings ratio considered a gauge of future earning power? 2. Why does a relatively new firm often have a low dividend payout ratio? Why does a firm with a substantial growth record and/or substantial ...

You have 15000 to invest in a stock portfolio your choices

You have $15,000 to invest in a stock portfolio. Your choices are Stock X with an expected return of 14 percent and Stock Y with an expected return of 7 percent. Required: (a) If your goal is to create a portfolio with a ...

We are examining a new project we expect to sell 5300 units

We are examining a new project. We expect to sell 5,300 units per year at $67 net cash flow apiece for the next 10 years. In other words, the annual operating cash flow is projected to be $67 × 5,300 = $355,100. The rele ...

Returns year x y 1 18 15 2 21 33 3 12 14 4 ndash 14 ndash

Returns Year X Y 1 18 % 15 % 2 21 33 3 12 14 4 – 14 – 19 5 10 23 Using the returns shown above, calculate the arithmetic average returns, the variances, and the standard deviations for X and Y. (Do not round intermediate ...

After visiting several automobile dealerships richard

After visiting several automobile dealerships, Richard selects the car he wants. He likes its $10,500 price, but financing through the dealer is no bargain. He has $2,100 cash for a down payment, so he needs an $8,400 lo ...

Roe needham pharmaceuticals has a profit margin of 55 and

ROE Needham Pharmaceuticals has a profit margin of 5.5% and an equity multiplier of 1.8. Its sales are $120 million and it has total assets of $50 million. What is its Return on Equity (ROE)? Round your answer to two dec ...

Suppose the dividends of a company are 2 in one year and 3

Suppose the dividends of a company are $2 in one year and $3 three years following. What is the average annual growth in dividends over these three years? In the constant growth dividend discount model, what is the relat ...

  • 4,153,160 Questions Asked
  • 13,132 Experts
  • 2,558,936 Questions Answered

Ask Experts for help!!

Looking for Assignment Help?

Start excelling in your Courses, Get help with Assignment

Write us your full requirement for evaluation and you will receive response within 20 minutes turnaround time.

Ask Now Help with Problems, Get a Best Answer

WalMart Identification of theory and critical discussion

Drawing on the prescribed text and/or relevant academic literature, produce a paper which discusses the nature of group

Section onea in an atwood machine suppose two objects of

SECTION ONE (a) In an Atwood Machine, suppose two objects of unequal mass are hung vertically over a frictionless

Part 1you work in hr for a company that operates a factory

Part 1: You work in HR for a company that operates a factory manufacturing fiberglass. There are several hundred empl

Details on advanced accounting paperthis paper is intended

DETAILS ON ADVANCED ACCOUNTING PAPER This paper is intended for students to apply the theoretical knowledge around ac

Create a provider database and related reports and queries

Create a provider database and related reports and queries to capture contact information for potential PC component pro