To determine the scale of the measurement.
1. Assume a survey item asks someone if something is very important, somewhat important, not very important, or unimportant. This is an ex of what level of measurement?
2. Which level of measurement has an absolute or "true" zero point?
3. What level of measurement do most inferential statistics rely upon?
4. Which of the following is an ex of nominal level measurement?
a. family size (number of children in a family)
b. political participation (number of times voted in last 10 years)
c. educational attainment (highest year or grade in school completed)
d. political party affiliation (Republican, Democrat, Independent, Other)
5. At what level are the following variables measured?
a. Income less than
$10,000 to 29,999
$30,000 to 59,999
$60,000 or more
b. Sex: Male, Female
c. Attitude toward gun laws
d. Ideal number of children
e. Family Income in dollars
f. Candidate voted for in 2000 election
Not applicable, didn't vote