1) Both the antitrust policy and the industrial regulation deal with the monopoly. describe the feature that distinguishes the two techniques? How does the government make a decision to utilize one form of the regulation in place of the other?
2) describe the main provisions of Sherman and the Clayton acts. describe the government entities that are responsible for implementing those laws? Whether the firms allowed for initiating the antitrust suits on their own against the other firms?
3) Recognize the basic issues included in case of U.S. Steel, Alcoa, and Du Pont cellophane. Describe the issues in the antitrust enforcement are implied in these cases?
4) Describe how the strict enforcement of antitrust laws would conflict with
(a) Promoting the exports in order to achieve the balance of trade;
(b) Easing the burdens in defence industry; and
(c) Encouraging the new technologies.
Do you witness any dangers of utilizing the selective antitrust enforcement as the part of an industrial policy?
5) How you would suppose antitrust authorities to react to
(a) A proposed fusion of the Ford and General Motors;
(b) Proof of the secret meetings by the contractors to rig bids for construction of highway projects;
(c) A proposed fusion of the large shoe manufacturer and chain of the retail shoe stores.
According to you such a merger must be permitted or not?
(d) A proposed fusion of the small life insurance company and regional candy manufacturer.