Government financial actions: ethical or unethical
Is it ethical for a government to act in ways that socialize financial risks or losses? Is it ethical to do so while privatizing gain/profits? Or to do so in ways that favor wealthier citizens while imposing risk on less wealthy taxpayers (or vice versa)? Or that create moral hazards? Why or why not? Are these social goals that are so important that they would lead you to change your answer?
1. What are the relevant facts?
2. What are the ethical issues?
3. Who are the primary stakeholders?
-what are the rights of the stakeholders? (i.e What is owned to the stakeholders)
-What are the duties of the stakeholders?
-who derives the benefits of an unrealistic analysis?
-who bears the heaviest burden of an unrealistic analysis?
- What is the most fair and equitable way to distribute the benefits and burdens across all stakeholders?
4- What are the possible alternatives?
-what alternative is the most fair to all stakeholders?
5. What are the ethics of the alternatives?
-what is the cost and benefit of the alternatives?
-which alternative provides the greatest benefit or the fewest costs for all concerned?
6. What are the practical constraints?
7. What action(s) should be taken?