This chapter analyses the secondary data collected for the research. This chapter points out the issues present in the Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority and the solutions to it.
Implementation issues of sustainable development in tourism:
The concept of sustainability has been an important and passive concept for a long time. Various researchers have highlighted the concept of sustainable tourism in their research papers, journals and the terms such as biosphere, ecosystem, environmental quality etc have been focus of many researchers in the management journals. In the last few years, Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority has faced issues such as social and natural disorders in the region and these issues has led to the different types of ethical and philosophical discussions at the government level. In today's modern society and environment, it has become immensely important for tourism organizations as well as other government organizations to consider the importance of sustainable tourism. The people living in the communities and society should try to find out ways in order to conserve their lands. As all developed countries are trying to unite all the international organizations in order to promote the environment friendly tourism and better ways of living and travel, the Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority is also no exception. The Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority have been trying hard for a long time to promote sustainable tourism across the region but they have not been able to achieve it due to various problems. The researchers identified that the first and major problem faced by Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority in order to implement the sustainable tourism in Abu Dhabi is lack of awareness of public related to sustainable tourism development. Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority had implemented a number of strategies in order to promote sustainable tourism in Abu Dhabi such as reducing pollution, eco friendly resorts etc but due to the lack of proper strategies, they failed to implement them. The most important issue is that the tourism managers working in Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority could not take these factors into consideration. While the academicians are focusing on the theories of sustainable tourism for the last few years, there has been delay in implementing the theories in practice. The Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority has implemented many alternative forms of tourism to create an win-win approach for the guests, hosts and environment by generating long term profit and at the same time, they are trying to conserve the resources and maintain the opportunities for further growth. But, they could not implement the theories in practice properly, due to the lack of proper strategies. The managers working in Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority have been proven ineffective to develop a sense of sustainability among the people living in Abu Dhabi.
Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority have also developed "ecotourism" in Abu Dhabi. The term was first used in the year 1983 by Ceballos-Lascurian and he defined the term ecotourism as the conservation of environment as well as improving the lives of people living in the area. But, after implementing Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority, the local residents started to feel that it is not helping them in any aspect of their lives. The local people have not been allowed to provide their cooperation and favour to the Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority and the ecotourism has been turned down within a very short time in Abu Dhabi.
Issues in planning the tourism in Abu Dhabi:
Tourism is considered among the fastest growing and largest sectors of any developed economy. As stated by World Tourism Organization, if the tourism is not planned properly and developed, it can have a negative impact on the community. The task of tourism planning and development is given to the governments of the countries and if it is not planned properly it can have significant negative impact on the society and community. The planning and development of tourism can help in developing the community's overall growth and protect the valuable resources, and it also leads the communities to the pillar of success. As stated by World Tourism Organization, tourism development is basically a subject of strong pressure and the pressure is mainly from the environment in which the region is located and as the human pressure has become an key element to achieve the competitiveness in the tourism and destinations, it is important for government to satisfy the needs and requirements of the human beings living in the society.
As stated by Jafari (2002), it is important for Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority to do the tourism planning and development in order to reach the highest level of satisfaction. The researchers also stated that the programs of the study in tourism in Abu Dhabi do not meet the needs of the future tourism professionals and as a result, Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority is facing trouble to find out suitable candidates to work with them and to make the tourism planning and development effective. As stated earlier, the managers of Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority are often found to be ineffective to manage the tourism planning of Abu Dhabi. In tourism planning of every country, it is important for the organization responsible for it to take proper decisions which will benefit them in the future and the persons who are responsible for taking decisions has to be highly efficient. But, in case of Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority, it is found that the decision makers do not have proper knowledge of tourism, though they are qualified in the tourism education. The tourism professionals working with the tourism industry should be able to develop appropriate public policy which will help the tourism industry to grow. In case of Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority, very few managers working in various tourism offices in Abu Dhabi have been proven efficient. As a result, the strategies implemented by the authority have been proven ineffective and they have miserably failed to achieve success in the industry.
Issues in marketing:
For tourism development in any country, it is important for government of any country to focus on marketing. Though Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority has developed marketing plan and they have implemented the marketing strategies, but the strategies are ineffective and highly expensive. The marketing strategies used by Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority are the traditional marketing techniques such as television marketing, newspaper advertising etc and they are typically used in their own country only but not internationally. In order to attract international visitors to Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority should use some international marketing strategies and they have to be cheap. Before planning marketing strategies, it is important for Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority to consider a few things. The first factor is detailed understanding of the area in which the marketing strategies will be implemented. As Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority is the government body and they are responsible for controlling the entire tourism industry of Abu Dhabi, they do not have any competitor in market. The government of Abu Dhabi is financially quite strong and they have sufficient finances present to spend for the tourism promotion. Most of the tourists come to Abu Dhabi from countries like USA, UK, Australia, India and many other developed countries for cultural tourism, business travel purpose etc. But, the main problem is that due to lack of promotion, other countries cannot know the different places of Abu Dhabi and tourist attractions. So, it is important to promote the tourist attractions of Abu Dhabi in international countries. Below are the strategies that can be used by Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority to promote tourism internationally:
- Social media marketing: Social media marketing is a great tool to promote tourism internationally. There are a number of advantages present of using social media marketing for tourism promotion. The first advantage is that today a huge number of people are using the social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter and these are great platforms to promote tourism across the globe. The Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority can create the tourism pages in these social media sites and they should state all details of the tourism packages, hotels etc in these social media sites. As people from all across the globe have access to the social media sites, it will be easier for Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority to promote their offerings to the entire world.
- Search engine optimization: Another great online technique to promote the tourism of Abu Dhabi across the globe is implementation of search engine optimization techniques. The website of Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority is quite rich in terms of content and all the details are there. One thing which should be done by Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority in their website is online booking facility. In order to attract international tourists, Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority should provide online flight booking, hotel booking facility which will help them to promote Abu Dhabi tourism worldwide.
- Overseas offices: Another strategy that should be implemented by Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority in order to improve tourism development of Abu Dhabi is opening some overseas offices in various foreign locations from which maximum tourists come to Abu Dhabi. Apart from that, Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority should introduce some all inclusive holiday packages to Abu Dhabi from countries like USA, Australia, UK, Australia, China etc from where a large number of tourists come to Abu Dhabi every year. It will attract more tourists to Abu Dhabi and the tourist industry of Abu Dhabi will be improved.
- Improving security of tourists: The terrorist activities are a growing concern in Abu Dhabi today and an important reason for the decrease in the number of tourists too. The nearby countries such as Dubai, Iraq etc have also become central part of the terrorist activities. So, it is highly important for Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority to improve the security of the tourists. The security measures taken by the government of Abu Dhabi are weak in some instances and often terrorists are caught with various types of arms etc. So, often the tourists are frightened and they fear to visit Abu Dhabi.
- Increasing tourist attractions: Another step which should be taken by Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority in order to attract more tourists to visit Abu Dhabi is increasing tourist attractions. Though there are a large number of cultural heritage sites present in Abu Dhabi, different types of tourists prefer to visit different places and attractions and their needs must be fulfilled. So, it is important for Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority to develop some amusement parks, water parks etc in Abu Dhabi which will attract more visitors to the country. Apart from that the Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority should try to build some economy hotels in different places across the region. Most of the hotels present in Abu Dhabi are highly expensive and it is not possible for the budget travellers to afford the high class hotels. If Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority build some budget hotels, more tourists will be able to afford visiting the place and the tourism will also improve.